Summer '22 Abridged
The Salesforce Discord Collective Presents:
THE SUMMER 22 RELEASE NOTES - ABRIDGED
We’re proud to announce our rebranding to Einstein SFXD CRM Release Notes Capture Abridginator 3000.
- User PII access checkbox change, is part of Enhanced Personal Information Management, important for GDPR-centric orgs.
- Formulas get a SWEET update with more functions and a max compile size of 15000 up from 5000. People using twitter have been hyped for a month
- Edge case, but still critical - if you have an old org, check if your Email Address is Verified or your email sending capabilities will be limited by Winter '23
- My dream from summer '21 is getting realized with Flows now being testable via Flows. This will probably become mandatory as Flow complexity continues to scale over the next five years.
- If you didn’t enable it yet, changes in CPU Time measuring for Flows might lead to complex Flows failing. Check your org.
- MFA soon ™. Being lazy here because no changes whatsoever. Is it 2023? Has Salesforce finished doing its updates on SSO MFA enforcement ? No ? Cool. Also you can bypass MFA now :shrug: Not even putting it in Critical anymore.
- Admins can now create Custom Address Fields. AWESOME! … but those waiting for it since 2007 might have already retired. /shrug. You might also want to check the Doges section of these ARN.
- When setting up Search, the Search Manager allows you to check which objects and fields are available to users.
- Restriction Rules minor updates, become more coherent with the Platform design and now support External Objects but some of that wording scares me - “Admins are responsible for ensuring that rules they create on external objects don’t negatively impact performance in Salesforce or in the external system.” say what ?
- Picklists get awesomely better duplicate handling, bulk edition OH YEAH, easier inactive values purging. For those who don’t know what the “Bound” and “Unbound” references are, this concept was first introduced in Summer '21 and TL;DR too many inactive values bad.
- The phasing out of classic continues with Related Lists no longer needing the Classic Page Layout edition to be displayed in LEX if you use the new "Dynamic Related List - Single" component, but curb your enthusiasm.
- Forecasts get picklist, currency, number filtering instead of just RecordType, and Multicurrency parenthetical display support
- EAC gets Manual Record Linking Override
- Sales cloud for Slack gets released, forgets link to actual content but not in another page in the same release note, actually looks nice, is included starting with Enterprise, has flow plugin
- There’s a lot of movement on a Service element I haven’t really heard of before, Messaging for In-App and Web. Nothing critical apart if you use Whatsapp from Salesforce but I’d keep an eye out in future releases. It seems it's a persistency-focused LiveAgent with SMS handling. I'd keep a good watch on this if you're Chat or Messaging centric.
- There's a new SKU called Subscription Management that despite its section in the Notes isn't part of Revenue Cloud, but an add-on to Sales Cloud. Without too much surprise it allows management of Subscriptions as well as an API for it.
- The Multi-field inline edit is now GA - re-highlighting this because it’s awesome. In addition, Salesforce now tries to help you define report types for Objects you select, has a better Analytics homepage, and now has MEDIAN(). It’s a good couple releases of Reporting fans
- Revenue Insights can be used without Forecasts
- Formulas can now be used as Flow Entry Conditions. Combined with the above Compile Size updates, that makes for LOVELY combinations.
- The way Flows evaluate Merge Fields stored in records changes. If you were using this workaround for some merges, you'll need to rely on APEX instead, or do a GET in your Flow.
- Flow team fixed their doge from spring22. I still disagree with the design concept but at least it’s clean now. Flow Explorer also gets QoL nice updates
- Orchestrations can now be Deployed leading to you not having to just YOLO in prod, also get nice QoL updates
- Visual updates include Section Headers in Screens, Rick Astley icons for your Invocable Actions, goto connectors (someone REALLY likes BASIC principles)
- Omni-Channel Flow Routing now supports checking availability
- APEX gets user-mode which is somewhat of an easier way to handle things that stripinaccessible started addressing - more info with this deck by C. Peterson.
- Using third-party libs in LWC Light DOM is now GA, hooray DOM manipulation!
- Alert, Confirm, Prompt native API deprecation lead to new LWC Modules to be used.
- External Services can now be called from APEX, great to avoid duplicate functionality in programmatic and declarative.
- Synthetic Shadow updates on assignedSlot and elementsFromPoint might break implementations, need review, will be expended to Mixed Shadow in future release. Note differences between default DOMs in Lightning Out or LWC Open Source, versus Lightning Experience and Experience Cloud.
- Datatable Virtual Rendering loads only rows you look at so you can load huge datatables
before MFA gets enforcedin reasonable times.
- Einstein OCR allows you to get Invoice Records from Images, up to 2000 free per month, after which you need to buy more usage. Yes, that’s content from three domains just to get you that information.
- GraphQL is now here, allowing your apps to decide which data they want to receive and how. Blog Posts exploring the concept.
- Events gets TONS of updates. Pub/Sub (gRPC) is here as well as a Native Integration to Amazon EventBridge, making CometD somewhat obsolete and easing transition to events-based models. CDC and PE both get Filters, and PE get Custom Channel grouping.
- Partioned Domains make knowing which org you are in easier, may require AllowList updates.
- @AuraEnabled is getting some annotation upgrades, so this is an interesting move.... preemptive architectural support for platform features beyond Digital Experiences?
- Hahahaha, they finally fixed overloading @AuraEnabled.
- Uhhhh, Functions have their own release notes...
- Lots of new LDS adapters, they're investing heavily in....integrating with analyticsWaveApi *cough* CRM Analytics *cough*.
- Be aware LWC's refreshApex is "deprecated for non-apex usage" (not sure what this means) on May 1 2023. Not sure what "support for ... of the function ends"... means yet. Guess we'll see next year!
- Salesforce just casually made most of your demo setup redundant
- B2BCB2BCB Commerce, or whatever it’s called now, supports promotions
- Custom Payment component now exists… ? wasn’t that the case before ? Also better tax handling for non-US countries
WAVE EINSTEIN ANA… TableauCRM CRM ANALYTICS
- Cross. Joins.
- Ability to delete connection between Nodes in Recipes. Maybe the Flow team will steal this idea?!
- A bunch of updates to the search capabilities in Recipes, should make navigating large Recipes much easier.
- Always happy to see Faceting getting some love. Can now Facet SOQL queries on the same Objects without modifying JSON.
- Added NULL handling in SAQL making your queries more accurate.
- bis repetita - oh wait no it's under Revenue Cloud now ? I give up.
- :doge: So those Custom Address Fields… Don’t support text input in State/Country, can’t be used for
DISTANCE(), don’t work in Flows (as a Compound field, the individual constituent fields do) or BULK API, and you can’t localize the labels of Street/City etc. I’m sure it’ll be great some day, but as of right now it’s a bit ehhh. Wait for update before widespread use.
- :doge: You can Grant access to your data for Einstein stuff, but what they give you in return isn’t documented at all, nor is the potential impact to GDPR. Why would you turn it on? What will you get out of it, outside of potential lawsuits? Who knows ! Maybe they’ll publish a release note about it one day.
- :doge: Salesforce Scheduler keeps making it hard to know it’s a paid add-on, despite good feature releases. Data Pipelines is also in Salesforce Overall but AT LEAST THEY SAY IT’S PAID seriously. And why is a Sales Cloud SKU part of Revenue?
- :doge: Netflix’s adding ads, and Salesforce’s pushing Performance as the new Enterprise with lotsa added features for Performance and Unlimited, which is great, but let’s name the SKU used to add those features “Sales Cloud Included”, because fuck transparency, aye?
- :doge: Why the hell would you ever bundle Mulesoft or Omnistudio releases with Flow release ?
- :doge: RefId to summer 23 lmao
This abridged version was graciously written up by the SF Discord
We have a nice wiki: https://wiki.sfxd.org/
And a linkedin page: https://www.linkedin.com/company/sfxd/
And a mostly-automated Twitter bot @SFXD_BOT
Join the ~10500 members in the most active chat-based community around Salesforce these parts of the web at http://join.sfxd.org/