Summer '23 Abridged
The Salesforce Discord Collective Presents:
THE SUMMER 23 RELEASE NOTES - ABRIDGED
This marks the 20th release of the ARN.
What I’m saying is that next release should be good, because the ARN themselves will be able to drink independently.
- Mass Quick Actions on Related Lists are finally here (but only support Create/Edit record for now, will support stuff like Flows later), allowing you to finally mass edit all your accounts to “TEST Do Not Delete” in one single mistake.
- SOQL Child Transversal updated to a depth of 5 (via API only, ain’t no APEX), sadge wich will be awesome for Permission Queries for example
- You can now use either Third-party or Saleforce MFA when logging in via SSO, so your confused users can be even more confused as to what they’re logging in to (yes I know it’s for security).
- Einstein Search gets a few updates, the main one being the possibility to change Searchable Objects per Profile, which is pretty cool for personalization.
- Permissions continue to evolve towards PermSets, get OrgWide Email perms added and prepare the more complex but powerful perms future with better reporting, while PermSetGroups start invading Named Credentials (and assigning Credential Access directly has moved from the Credential to the Permission Set or Profile, which isn’t documented properly but whatevs.)
- Messaging for In-App and Web continues its release frenzy with better pre-chat forms that also don’t show if the user already answered it in a session and cross-subdomain/cross-device chat, voice-message support, and better button display. Still not completely at LiveAgent parity, but already has some things that make it better in a few context. Study potential migration paths already IMO.
- Einstein Bots get an API which I’m guessing is usable to integrate Bots with some LLM goodness, also get tons of minor updates yay ?.
- If you were abusing Inactive Picklist Values, you can’t anymore, the 4000 cap is now firm and enforced
- Meetings can now be offered by email and from the Composer but I have not found if the Salesforce Meetings SKU is paid or just a marketing name…
- For GDPR compliance you can host a contact preference form directly on Salesforce which is available to everyone with no login.
- I rarely cover paid extensions, but seeing as CTI is always paid anyway: SF Voice gets internal calling, code-driven accept, hangup, and merging of calls (and support for custom LWC as a result), user-level setup checks to help users, extensions for pre-and post-call behavior, custom field data transfer… For me it blows the current competition out of the water unless you’re comparing purely API-driven call centers.
- Dynamic Forms are available on Mobile in beta
- Custom Address Fields now suck less but the State/Country bullshit still exists.
- LEX Record Edit pages get an undo button per field, but it doesn’t apply to Dynamic Forms, because why lower tech debt when you can have multiple teams working on the same piece of the UI at the same time ?
- The last few releases seem to clearly indicate that CPQ has been folded into Revenue Cloud and might be folded into the Vlocity CPQ at some point. If you’re a customer, you might want to study how to migrate. This is speculation and not backed by any insider knowledge.
- Quotes Can be created with no account or Opportunity but need an account to be converted to Order. I’m not sure I understand why breaking basic CRM dependencies is good but why not.
- Reactivity is here again, still in Beta. Now supports formulas
- DataTable gets search and filtering
- SendEmail can now be automatically be logged but that changes which email limit it counts against so… eh.
- HTTP GET callout GA, also Beta supports POST so your admins can send wrong data to even more systems :D
- If you relied on Field Level Security - based Visibility to not display stuff, you’ll now get errors instead
- No More New Processes. Learn Flow and Migrate
- Orchestrations variable behavior change and can call Mulesoft Actions, as well as give you Tasks in your ToDo. Also add a horribly hacky way to add Comments. Still don’t fix their horrible pricing scheme.
- It’s a Release Update, but Apex RESTResponse must now be RFC 7230 Compliant, you probably need to check the ones you emit.
- Sets are Iterable now (sometimes)
- Fetch Labels Dynamically at runtime
- Better control over Queuables in both depth and max runtime
- New Komaci tool ensures code can be used in offline environments, combined with Offline Test Harness seems to indicate SF investment in Offline Apps, probably Mobile (requires Mobile App Plus, paid, lol).
- LWS, Light DOM, RefreshView are GA.
- Minor note, but Salesforce is slowly finalizing its internal LWC migration which you can read up more on here
- DOM Changes Volume 2, CSS Super style referencing change how stuff displays
- scoped and dynamic slots out of the casino
- UTAM Browser Extension to ease your Selenium Script writings
- You can now check SPF and DKIM in email Services
- Named Credentials can now be created via the ConnectApi, so maybe you could, using a username and password, create a full SFDX pipeline using JWT using it ?
- RIP OAuth Username-Password Flow, you were insecure but you’ll be missed by all the devs too lazy to setup JWT.
- Both Commerce experiences get assistants (Setup and Troubleshooting), both of which ensure common setup issues aren’t made.
- Connect REST gets SearchResults and ProductSuggestions APIs to allow customization of those features. Combined with Extensions, it seems the platform is trying to become less a “plug and play” and more of a “build-your-own” framework platform, with additional modules like Payments also being developed on the side.
- :doge: At a time where contextualised information is sold as the BeSt ThINg EvER, Salesforce has decided calling your AE (we promise, they won’t change 5 times a year) is the best way to collect customer feedback
that’ll be ignored
- Account Automated Fields are being retired with no previous deprecation notice, enhancing you
- Tab-Focused Dialogs join the legion of Release Updates that don’t get Released, further enhancing your trust that stuff that gets published is totally something that’s final and important.
- Some Very Requested Feature ! (**applies only to Unlimited Edition)
- :doge: 10 years later, Salutation joins LEX, thank Cthulu for the noise around inclusivity so they prioritized this
- :doge: Celebrate with us, the fact that in 2023 you now only have to run an unsigned .bat file after configuring ZuluJDK to install dataloader, a great upgrade over the 2012 "Just install it". Truly, a win for admins everywhere.
- :doge: Sales Planning takes a leaf out of Case Swarming’s book and publishes the most vapid Release Note in a long while, ensuring no one can know wtf it is. Same for Service Catalog which looks like just some zombie feature from Work.com ?
This abridged version was graciously written up by the SF Discord
We have a nice wiki: https://wiki.sfxd.org/
Join the ~14000 members in the most active chat-based community around Salesforce these parts of the web at http://join.sfxd.org/